Deanesfield Primary School

Dream, Believe, Achieve... And Make A Difference!

Communication and interaction needs

Communication and interaction needs

Children and young people might:

  • struggle to talk or say what they want to 
  • find it hard to understand what other people are saying
  • find conversations and play confusing or challenging

Speech, Language and Communication Needs

Children with Speech and Language difficulties are supported in the classroom by additional adult support and strategies and guidance provided by our Inclusion Manager. The school has a positive and effective working partnership with our NHS Mainstream Speech Therapist who provides programmes and therapy to children within the school.  In addition to this, the school provides speech and language support through by running small groups and individualized programs on a daily basis, when needed. 


Children who have been diagnosed with ASD or diagnosed with social and communication difficulties are supported through our Inclusion Manager, Speech and Language Therapist and through quality first teaching within the classroom.


Click here to view The Hillingdon Paediatric Speech and Language Therapy (SALT), where you can access information about the three specialist SALT teams (Early Years, Mainstream, Hearing Impairment), including making a referral.


Please take a look at what the teams can offer, and to access information and support. We hope all parents/carers make full use of this service.


Specialist Resourced Provision for Speech, Language and Communication

For children who have an Education Health Care Plan identifying Speech, Language and Communication as their main area of need, the school have additional specialist provision available. Children are supported and included within the mainstream class but have additional specialist language teaching and weekly speech and language therapy from a therapist based at the school.  We have 8 planned places. For further information regarding the Specialist Provision please contact the school.

What is the Specialist Resourced Provision?